Saturday, January 15, 2022

One part partly done

Another long-overdue update - we've spent the spring/summer/fall making decisions, tracking down supplies, and doing install and the work has paid off in that we are now officially moved into the addition!  Not that moving into the addition means we're done (not even close) but it does mean we are done enough to live in the new space.  And living in the new space - with hardwood floors, a large kitchen island, and double bathroom sinks, among other things - is a delight.  Onto the pictures!

Starting in the kitchen - pretty much a blank slate to begin:

Cabinet delivery day!  This is a lot of cabinets...

Getting started.  There is a method to the madness here, it's just hard to tell what that method is!  But installation involved liberal use of the laser and levels to make sure everything was straight.

Top and outer cabinets all installed and starting to move to the upper cabinets.

Now this is starting to look like the plan!  Getting the island set into place and figuring out spacing for everything.

Blocking out the bar top overhang and the table on the end to see how it'll all fit together.

Once we had the cabinets installed, there was a long lag while we selected a countertop (Calacatta Miraggio Gold) and then had it installed and waited months for our appliances to arrive.  Fortunately, our old kitchen was still in place so even though it was somewhat unsatisfying to have a new yet unusable kitchen in the house, there wasn't much rush to get things done.

Finally getting appliances installed - hello wine fridge!  You will be well loved here.

This is looking more complete (although still missing two backordered bar stools here).  Microwave and dishwasher are installed in the island.

Custom walnut table built by Brian for the eat-in and integrated refrigerator column and freezer drawers hiding behind the walnut panels on the right

Just need a backsplash and light fixture over the table and this space will be complete!

And now moving on to the primary bathroom on the second floor of the addition.  We decided to use extra large format white marble tiles for the shower - and made good use of the family room floor space to lay everything out first.  The tiles are not meant to fit together perfectly (though some do) so it was a bit of a puzzle to make sure we liked how the veining looked once it was all together.

Skipping forward - tiles on the walls!

Next up, a gray cement look tile for the floor.

Now with grout, fixtures, and glass shower door!  If only things moved as quickly in real life as these few pictures imply.

The vanity is a custom cabinet by the same company that made our kitchen cabinets.  Bathroom fixtures are Moen Doux and countertop is Calacatta Miraggio (the same as the kitchen but with gray veining).

Then we made our first attempt at wallpaper using Owens wallpaper in Denim by Serena & Lily.  I had read that this wallpaper was somewhat fussy to work with and agree with that assessment.  Maybe not the best choice for our first wallpaper attempt but fortunately, the small, single wall turned out well enough to keep it.  We painted the bathroom walls in the same color as the rest of the addition (Benjamin Moore Silver Chain) before we picked out tile.  Then we committed to the gray cement look floor tiles and didn't love just how much gray was in the bathroom everywhere.  So this feature wall introduces a nice bit of color into the room.

And now with custom white oak framed mirrors built by Brian.

And now back down to the first floor but the other side this time - the family room space adjacent to the kitchen.  Because this is part of the existing house, the new windows are set back so Brian built custom walnut frames for them.

The old fireplace was plain red brick and needed an upgrade so we started by installing a black tile threshold here.

Then moved onto a new tile surround.

Then Brian went back into his workshop to build a custom white oak mantle.

Just dry fitting it here before we grout the tiles.

And done!  Just in time to get our Christmas tree up.

That's a lot of updating to cover a lot of months!  We're taking a bit of a break over the winter now while we gear up to start the second big part of the renovation - gutting the rest of the existing house and adding a dormer to the back, plus finishing the basement, redoing the front yard and its retaining walls, and various and sundry other tasks.  For now, focusing on what is done so we can take the rest of this project one step at a time.  Happy New Year!