Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Finishing Touches

Brian has continued to work on the mudroom, putting our various tools to good use (the chop saw, table saw, and brad nailer are figuring heavily into his work these days) as he trimmed out the cubbies and built the window seat.  The trim has made a huge difference - it all looks like built-in furniture now.  It's just the look I was hoping for when we first started thinking about doing a mudroom so I'm really pleased with the result.  For the cubbies, we used 1 x 2 trim for most of the areas, although we had to custom rip a number of the pieces.  On the sides, we added shoe molding on the inside to give it a little extra detail and then put crown molding on top to make it look more like a piece of furniture.  On the window seat, we used 1 x 3 trim for a chunkier look.  We'll attach the top of the window seat with piano hinges so there will be extra storage under the seat.  We also still need to putty the nail holes, finish caulking, and give everything a coat of paint but it's nearly done...and I'm really happy with the way it's all turned out.  See for yourself...

Trimming the legs of the bench/cubbies

More trim in progress


Window seat space

Box built, trim in progress

Just need to add the top and we're done here!

No comments:

Post a Comment