Sunday, February 5, 2012

One job I'm glad to be done with

This was not my favorite job on this project so far, but the shower pan is finished and ready for tile (after the mud pan cures). We used a product called Goof Proof to create the correct pitch on the floor and curbs that are nice and square. It was a lot of hard work, though. Just mixing the 4 batches of dry pack mix (60lb bags of sand with about 12 pounds of cement) was hard enough, but you had to constantly smooth and stamp the mixture into the forms to compress it. From start to finish it was about 2.5 hours of work. It was quite tiring! Next time I think we will spend the extra money for a custom tile-ready shower pan made out of plastic or maybe use one of the Kerdi products that don't require a mud pan. Doing the pan this way may save a couple hundred dollars, but it's a huge process over several days and is very messy.

We also figured out how we're going to floor around the stairwell opening and the stair treads. I should be able to finish up most of the hardwood in the hallway this coming week. Next weekend I think we'll be making some good progress on the master bath tile.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! Seems like a return of something like $75/hour was worth the effort, I would think. It's nice that you have the skills to do this project.