Friday, July 10, 2015

Sealing up the house

We're moving along here - we passed our framing, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing inspections last Friday, clearing the way for insulation.  We also tackled a few projects of our own too, including bricking up two windows that are no longer needed on the side of the house.  Since we're going to paint the brick (and the Hardie siding), we didn't worry about matching the new brick too closely to the existing bricks.  It should look fine once everything is painted.  And yesterday and today, we've had the insulation guys in here sealing up the house.  On the last house, we used Roxul and were very happy with the results - our energy bills for the new, larger house were almost exactly the same as the old, smaller, draftier house.  But for this house, we decided to go one step further and apply spray foam on the existing block walls and wet cellulose spray on the newly framed walls.  The only downside is that it's not a DIY project so we hired the pros.  It is, however, a fast installation process, though it needs a few days to dry, and then soon we'll be onto drywall!

Getting started - two windows in need of bricking

One down!

Second window in progress

Halfway there...

So close

And done!  Ready for exterior paint!
Getting started with the spray foam

Working their way up the walls

One wall all sealed up

More walls all sealed

Moving through the house

Exterior block walls done - onto the exterior wood framed walls, with cellulose, next!

No comments:

Post a Comment